Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
And yall say us Yankees are crazy.

smile. That was a good one, LR. No other group is as crazy as Southern turkey hunters. We all do it a little different, and many really believe that their way is the only "right" way to do it. Some of them are so crazy they will pay absurd amounts of money for a trumpet call and they won't have a clue of how to use it. I'm not being critical; more power to the guy able to sell them.

Since the thread hasn't gotten so far off track and turned into a gripe session, I might as well provide the board with my own list of things I dislike in the current turkey hunting world. I am not calling anyone unethical for doing any of it if it's legal in your state. These are just things I don't do and I don't like.

1) Hunting turkeys with decoys. I killed one years ago with the aid of a decoy and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I wish the whole turkey decoy industry would go away.

2) Hunting them over bait. Just go buy one at the store instead of doing this.

3) Shooting them with centerfire rifles. It's legal in a few states, but my idea of turkey hunting is calling up a gobbler in the spring and shooting him with a shotgun. Everyone else should think like me. wink

4) Hunting them with the aid of a dog. Few things in life are more enjoyable than hunting with a good quail dog, but if you gotta have a dog to kill a turkey you should just stay on the porch. I am really thankful that my state has always made this illegal.

5) Drumroll,.... And the worst practice in all of hunting is shooting a hen turkey. The spring gobbler is a surplus bird and it doesn't affect the overall population to remove some. Killing hens is killing the future. I really can't imagine how a grown man could get any enjoyment from such a thing.