Originally Posted By: SKB
My god no not at all. By Federal law any Government body associated with your back ground check is prohibited from entering the information into a searchable database. When you buy a gun they have no idea what you except if it is a long gun or a handgun. Not the make, model, serial# or caliber. Those records stay with the FFL holder for 20 years or until he closes shop....

I thought you said the status quo was no good? The ideologues calling for more gun control do not care about the established practices of an FFL holder. I don't intend to put words into his mouth, but Bill is hinting at all firearms transfers going through a background check. Maybe, exactly like how it's done in Oregon? A background check for a private transfer does not assume the seller is held to the same standards as an FFL holder, nor can it be assumed that an e-background check that includes make, model and serial number will somehow be unpreserved and not available for instant search. Isn't your point to stop criminals?

As to fees, you do not have the protection of the law against punitive amounts. In truth you're describing luck. There are so many examples of fees and taxes to do business in other fields besides yours that have mushroomed. I wouldn't assume being immune from them.