Originally Posted By: 28 gauge shooter
Coosa,
Up North we are all most as crazy, as you Southeren Turkey hunters, (LOL!!) one of my fondest memories back in the 70s was hunting with Ben Rogers Lee. Big as life,good old boy who's second language was English (first of course was Turkey).
Ben hunted with a 10 gauge, big man big gun. And had the same rule of thumb, no rifle, no bait, no dogs and no hens. For decoys, not sure of.
I have been taking youth hunter first time turkey hunters to the woods for the past 12 years, and this is the only time I use a couple of decoys. I still call the birds in and the decoys keep the attention of the Tom off the young hunter, that are not always able to sit still.
Several years back, I took a good friend turkey hunting in NY. He was a big predator hunter, and hunted with a sxs Churchill 10 guage and Nitro Rays special blind of 2 and a half oz of 2s, that kicked like a Clydesdale! He took his first bird, no more than 25 steps. I think every bone on that bird was broken. I hope he still remembers that bird.

Thanks for telling us the story. I once shared a booth with Ben at a trade show and spent the morning listening to his stories, and he had a lot of them. He was one of the first to figure out how to make a living from the turkey hunting world. I'm sure it was fun to hunt with him.

He didn't mention decoys that day, and I've never heard if he used them or not. He was from AL and most turkey hunters from here share those opinions about the sport. Go to another state and the really fanatical hunters will have a different list of complaints, but every turkey hunter I've ever known had a list.

Last edited by coosa; 02/25/18 06:16 PM.