Originally Posted By: SKB
Something must change....

....I just do not buy in to the culture war sorry. I think a better approach than the combative stance the NRA has taken....

....Sometimes your friends need to be criticized. I must have got that from my Grandmother. She use to say "just because your friends are doing it does not mean it is right."

Does it matter what adjectives are used? If the NRA has to be described as combative, aren't you at cultural odds with them? Or, don't like them, or consider them divisive, or think alt right, or on and on? Your preferences are no business of mine, but you do seem to buy into differences, some might say cultural.

I had a Grandma too, actually two of them. Her version was slightly different, "just because your friends are doing it, doesn't mean you have to DO it too". I think the path is clear. If something really has to change, it's the rhetoric and the education of our kids. Not the law.

You made fun of our President pulling a fast one a few pages back. Since the middle is squishy on the topic, maybe we can hope, as in the past, congress can't come together. And, as a fail safe, possibly this President understands current politics and will use his position to shift the blame image to progressives, in not just the political sense, but also cultural.

I think due process is a huge problem, but I wouldn't ignore the vagueness of tightening background checks and closing loopholes. Asked earlier of someone else, if in a couple of years from now a twenty-one year old walks into the shop and needs work done on his long gone grandpa's beautiful sxs, because he cherishes the gun, loves pheasant hunting, and has been using it since high school. Do you look over the gun and say you can help, or is your first thought, I ran it and there's no record that the gun was legally transferred to you? And, yes I know, not in Colorado.

edit to add, interesting back and forth

Last edited by craigd; 03/01/18 01:00 PM.