===================================================================================================================================
1840's - Reilly and the pepperpot (facetious)

Getting there....slowly. slowly Reilly, a very prominent gun maker of the 19th century emerges from the shadows and there are enough guys here who shoot Reilly's who can attest to their quality.

Actually I suggested an article to Dan Cote at DGJ via e-mail pointing out that the last article on Reilly in 2015 had some errors in it...heard nothing back. Douglas Tate who is a gun magazine editor suggested I write something for his magazine but there is so much. I think the key research is dating the guns...from that comes history, labels, and verification of frauds....that would be a relatively easy article to write with a fold out reference sheet for auction houses and gun dealers to use. But maybe a book would be more in order...the more I get into the subject.

And I find his relationship to the 19th century period (oh heck to the era of that famous reprobate FLASHMAN)...fascinating. (And Flashmen allegedly knew all these people - Bismark, Napoleon III, Slept with the Empress, was at Rorke's Drift, Charge of the Light Brigade, met Orloff....the greatest, funniest, bawdiest and - while fiction - maybe most psychologically accurate history of British imperial expansion in the 19th century). (I'd bet that pepperpot in Flashman's hand was sold by Reilly, except it was before the 3rd Sikh war..pre-1847 Reilly move to 502 Oxford Street and I haven't found any Reilly pepperpots with 316 High Holborn on the rib) -
HOLD ON - WAIT A MINUTE - ERROR...see below.

A Reilly's six shot 'pepperpot' pistol, c.1850 (Date obviously wrong-with that address it's pre 1847), the barrel tips engraved with stiff leaves, struck with proof marks with underfire ring trigger,
profusely engraved action inscribed 'Reilly 316 Holborn, London, J. R. Cooper's patent', barrel 8.5cm overall 19.5cm
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti...fc-a4480112aa71

Last edited by Argo44; 09/11/18 01:17 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch