===================================================================================================================================
1835 - 1898 - Reilly and airguns - repost

With nothing to do, in the middle of nowhere for a few weeks. I picked up a Sherlock Holmes Anthology and re-read "The Adventure of the Empty House"...the 1st story in the return of Holmes after his supposed death. A cracking good story...and since Col. Sebastian Moran tried to kill Holmes with an air-rifle (an event that Harry Flashman also participated in if you believe Flashman and the Tiger), I thought I'd repost the line on EM Reilly Air-Canes since the photos to it have been held hostage by an extortionist's website.

And by the way, Lewis and Clark carried an air-gun with them on their 1804-06 trek across America. It's in the NRA museum here in the DC area.

I'm going to do two things this time 1) explain why I think EM Reilly published his treatise on air guns in late 1847-early 1848 and not 1850 as is everywhere reported on the internet; 2) date the canes by the usual method of name on the gun/cane but also by the labels in the cases, an advantage of having dated the trade labels per above (understanding that the names the Reilly's put on their non-serial numbered firearms often varied).

Reilly's both were heavily into air canes and air-rifles throughout the 1830's-40's. as early as 1843 Reilly began advertising for "Improved Air Canes" by "Reilly Jnr" (Edward M. Reilly) - (and by the way, the company is advertised as "Reilly, Gun maker"...not J.C. Reilly, etc. I've never noticed this before and need to check out when this began).

...........09 Dec 1843, "London Illustrated News."

I'll also post this ad from "London Illustrated News," 24 Apr 1847 - which advertises Reilly, mentions "Reilly Jnr" and air canes ,and their brand new address at 502 New Oxford Street (note the name used on the ad - "Reilly"); and the advertisement clarifies the address: "Removed from 316 Holborn".

Which sets the stage for comments about EM Reilly's Treatise on Air Guns. Here is the reprinted cover.

Edward M. identified himself as “Reilly, Junr” (as in the 1843 advertisement above and in the 1847 ad after the move to Oxford Street)….The address of the firm on the title page is No. 502, New Oxford Street, “removed from 316 Holborn,” London. This phrase “removed from 316 Holborn” is telling. The Reilly’s quit using the "removed from Holborn" phrase in ads less than a year after the move, by the end of December 1847 per the dated serial numbers on guns and advertisements.

======================================================
Xxxxx August 1835 - March 1847. possible 1843?

Name: J.C. REILLY, 316 HIGH HOLBURN, LONDON
Description: This cane rifle consists of two parts painted black enamel which measures just under 38 inches including the screw on horn handle. The center joint ring is marked "REILLY 316 HOLBORN LONDON IMPROVED". The pump is screwed onto the upper portion to fill the chamber with air. The pump consists of an iron tube with brass ends and a screw on iron handle for the pump. The tube is marked "J.C. REILLY 316 HIGH HOLBORN LONDON". The lower portion of the cane houses the breech and firing mechanism. After the chamber is "pumped up", the two pieces are screwed together and the muzzle end has a brass tip which screws off and the attached wooden barrel plug comes out. The breech is opened by a sliding lever and is loaded with a round bullet through a round hole on top of the shaft. A key is then used to cock it and a small post "trigger" pops out of the side. The trigger is simply pushed to fire the rifle. The barrel is rifled and gauges at 38 caliber. It is equipped with a small blade front and notched rear sights.

Comment: The "Improved" engraving leads me to associate this cane with the above 1843 advertisements...
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/55/64/reilly-co-edward-m-air#detail

Xxxxx August 1835 - March 1847

Name: J.C. REILLY, 316 HOLBORN, LONDON
Description: .41 CAL; RIFLED BBL, BORE GOOD, BLACK PAINTED FINISH, HORN CANE HANDLE, COMES WITH ORIGINAL PUMP, FIXED SIGHTS, ROUND BALL LOADS INTO A ROTATING BREACH, BUTTON TRIGGER, COCKING KEY INCLUDED, MAKER'S MAHOGANY TAKE DOWN CASE, BRASS MUZZLE PROTECTOR

Comment: This is the only Reilly pre-1847 move to New Oxford street label that Ive ever seen. It's fitting it's in an air cane case - that case stayed in closets.
https://ellwoodepps.com/joesph-charles-reilly-air-gun-cane.html
Comment:

Xxxxx 1848 - 1855

Name: REILLY & Co., OXFORD STREET,
Description: 1
Comment: This label was used from 1848 to 1855 when two medals were added on either side of "London." The "take-down stock" for the air-cane is amazing, apparently covered in pebble worked leather.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti...4f-a41800b08eda

7801 ?? circa 1855. (the date in the advertisement is clearly wrong)

Name: REILLY, NEW OXFORD STREET, LONDON
Description: REILLY LONDON A RARE CASED 28-BORE PERCUSSION COMBINATION WALKING-STICK GUN serial no. 7801. circa 1845 comprising of a 28 3/4in. re-browned octagonal damascus rifle barrel signed `REILLY NEW OXFORD STREET LONDON` (renewed) small dove-tailed crescent fore-sight blued standing notch rear-sight with one folding leaf a 29 3/4in. re-browned damascus round shot barrel with octagonal breech section (unsigned) and an unsigned octagonal 32-bore 3in. re-browned damascus pistol barrel (probably a later addition) matching period London proofs together with a percussion under-hammer squared boxlock action with guarded trigger the top-tang signed `REILLY NEW OXFORD ST. LONDON`

Comment: I believe this Reilly air cane serial number, unlike the others, is authentic and is in the "J.C. Reilly 7000 series" which he began to use to differentiate himself from EM after they moved to 502 New Oxford Street in late March 1847 and which continued until c1858. The label is the one used from 1848-1855. I'd date the cane based on the label and SN as latter part of 1855.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/aucti...f6-a4340134dc99

to be continued

Last edited by Argo44; 10/11/18 04:54 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch