A friend sold me an East German proof marked, Superior Quality 1 marked, 28 1/4" 70mm 12 gauge today that weights 6 pounds, 15 ounces. The importer stamped on the action flat SIMPSON LTD G'BURG ILL and following that M-8 GERMANY. Mike Orlen has opened the chokes to about .722 right and .705 left. The gun has has narrow swivel slings, and a cheek rest, and it's overall in very nice condition. Serial number is 461,xxx. The gun has side clips, greener cross bolt, dealey forend latch, cocking indicators, and line engraving. The sides are scalloped about like an L.C. Smith.

I'd like anybody's input on what I have. I understand after the war, the East Germans and a West German firm both made J.P. Sauer shotguns until about 1970. I've also read that Merkel, Sauer, Simpson, and perhaps other names were put on similar East German side by sides, and I know I'm fortunate to have my gun stamped with the superior quality stamp of a 1 inside of a 0, which means they spent a little more time and effort making the guns of higher quality for export.

But, I'd like to hear more about East German side by sides made in Suhl, and how to date them. My gun has 560 on the bottom of the barrel flats. 1956?

And I'd like to know if disconnecting the automatic safety is much trouble or not.

And my gun has a capped pistol grip with a black hard butt plate.

The cap and butt plate may be plastic, or they might be horn. How do I test to see?

Anything other information about these guns would be much appreciated.

My gun appears to me, to be a high quality piece, on the par with my V. Bernardelli also made in the 1950's.

It's so well balanced that when you pick it up, it seems to come alive, like a good Ithaca Model 37, and it's hard to guess how much it weighs.

I think I bought a bargain Merkel quality shotgun, but what say you?

Last edited by 992B; 03/29/18 04:53 PM.