Here are a few miscellaneous items I've found or are still working on which I'll post here for posterity or for someone who really wants to write a book on the Reilly's

========================================================================================================================================
1823 - Reilly as "Jeweler"

JC Reilly was still identified as a “Jeweler.

I assume he also was a silver plate worker but you don’t just register a mark (which he allegedly did in 1819) - you have to pass through stages of excellence in the silver world and I can’t find evidence of this. This is a work in progress; would appreciate any help in search silver mark sources for information on this part of his career. What type of “jewels” did he make? Here is the only example I’ve been able to find. Telling isn’t it. http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as290616/page009.html

========================================================================================================================================
1823 - Reilly's Hunting License

- Joseph Charles Reilly of “Hampstead” (Middlesex, i.e. London) was awarded a Hunting License. (“London Morning Chronical,” 13 Sep 1823). Hampstead was still countryside but wasn’t that far from Holborn Bars. We’ve often wondered where Reilly’s 300 yard shooting range was located. It might be in Hampstead - which is a "heath" and a golf course and a park now

Now why would you need a hunting license in England in 1823? And by the way 2 guineas in 1785 was a lot of money - no wonder hunting became an upper class sport.

1825 - Reilly member of the London Proof House

- The book posted above provided a copper plate on members of the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers (the London Proof House). The author provides the following caution:
https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.278485/2015.278485.A-History_djvu.txt

The Worshipful Company of Gunmakers was, and still is, one of the minor City Livery Companies or Guilds, but there were many makers who were simply under the legal obligation to have their weapons proved but who were not members of the Company. It is doubtful if at any time in its history the Company has represented more than a proportion of the London makers. Fairly full records of the apprenticeship and admission of gunsmiths exist but are not available for the study of the historian. Many of the City Companies have thrown open their records to research students, but in the case of this Company permission has not yet been given.

The book mentions that J.C. Reilly was a member as of 1825. If this can be confirmed it is as good a date as any as to when he became a “gun maker.”

1825-40 - Reilly, Joseph Chas. London
1832 - Reilly & Co. London
1850 - Reilly, Edward M. London
Reilly, 1882, London. Breakdown action revolvers of -450 calibre.

1829 - Reilly still a Jeweler and selling guns

-- An advertisement still identified J.C. Reilly as a “silverplate worker” and “gun maker.” (I've misplaced this ad...it will be posed asap).

Not the ad I'm looking for but 14 Jun 1829, Bell's sporting Life gun ad:

1830 - Reilly making his own guns

18 July 1830, "Bell's Life." Reilly making his own guns:

1831 - Reilly a Silversmith and a Jeweler

04 Jan 1831 "Morning Chronicle" - robber at Reilly - Jewelry taken...still a Jeweler or Silversmith, or both

1833 - Reilly, Gun Maker

Reilly identifies solely as "Gun Maker"; 07 Jul 1833, "Bell's Life"

===========================================================================================
1840 - JC Reilly becomes "Reilly": Edward Michael becomes a full partner?

As mentioned previously between the end of June 1840 and end of Aug 1840 the company's name in advertisements changed from JC Reilly or Joseph Charles Reilly to just "Reilly." Believe that this marks the entry of then 23 year old Edward Michael as a full partner in the firm:

.........21 Jun 1840, "Bell's Life"

........22 Aug 1840, "Evening Standard". (the reference to the August edition of "Sporting Magazine" refers to the Reilly poem -see below).

Last edited by Argo44; 10/11/18 04:19 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch