Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
It's a people watching city....

....My observation is that the apartments are so small in a vertical city, that everyone expands their space by living outside their apartment. Hence the myriad of people out and about, the places to go and things to do. Beats sitting in a box 20 floors up.

I think that was my somewhat disappointment when I visited. I'd see the same people in the morning come out of the front door of the apartment, maybe get a coffee or bagel within a block, and then I assume off to work. In the evening, the same folks, pick up a small sack of groceries or take out food, then back up stairs and do it all over the next day.

In many apartments, everyone hangs a bag of dirty laundry on their door knob, then a service charges them by the pound to wash clothes. I've watched old timers struggle to walk up a few flights of stairs because of rent control they can't afford to move from the place that they used to dash up the stairs when they were younger. In some of the name hotels, you can sit on the corner of the bed and touch the bathroom door and dresser. It's not exaggerating to note that the overwhelming majority are very rude and impatient.

I think places to go and things to do is a myth that tourists come up with. I'd go bonkers myself much beyond a few day visit, but I suppose that's just me. Maybe, outside living would be more pleasant if the jerks would just lay off their car horns. Alrighty, that was fun.