This is a fascinating but seemingly unsolvable problem to discuss.

I have no engineering or higher physics education, but Ive read entirely too many old gun books and shot so many patterns on a plate, that Im a waivering, doubtful, bitter clinger to the idea that maybe, perhaps, there is still enough mystery and art left to shotgun patterns as to occasionally allow a well choked gun to escape the long dead hand of Herr Dr. Gauss.

To restate the original posts question to suit the hypothetical:

1. Is is possible to cheat normal Gaussian distribution of shotgun patterns by using a recess (jug choke) before a full (.35-40 thousands) choke to obtain hot centers where the pellets in the center are denser than normal,,,

2. Or do the iron laws of normal (Gaussian) distribution mean that no matter if we lengthen forcing cones, use conical, elliptical, parallel, recessed, or swaged or collet chokes, folded crimped hulls with plastic, cushioned, protective wads with nickel plated shot,,,,or not,,,mean that all shotgun patterns remain the same, only at different distances from the muzzle?

If the scientists are right, then better patterns are therefore impossible, we can only shoot smaller or larger circles on the plate, at a given distance.

Almost, I am persuaded to be a scientist about choke.

But with quavering faith, I read again my W.W. greener and Bob Brister, shoot a few more patterns on a plate, and the spark of hope still flickers, there might be the one, true choke that produces hot centers, but not too hot, minimal shot balling, patchiness, and fliers, and spreads quickly an inch per yard out to twenty yards and slows the spreading after thirty yards, almost holding that pattern out to about forty yards, and leaving a hot center to break targets and kill birds out to sixty yards, perhaps a bit beyond that.

I even think I own a few of those artistically choked guns.

They tend to be 12 gauge guns with about 12-13 thousands constriction.

Not quite a light modified, but an improved cylinder, plus.

There might be such a unicorn of a full choked shotgun, if there was a recess choke of a thousandth just before the choke, that makes exceptionally hot cores.

If not, its pretty to think there is.

Last edited by 992B; 04/08/18 11:56 PM.