Originally Posted By: KY Jon
If only we could get that perfect distribution of pellets, evenly in a pattern. Then on crossing birds I want he pattern to be either a horizontal oval or a rectangle to give me even getter chance of hitting my target. Bought a screw in choke tube which was designed to flatten a pattern but all it did was shred wads, give extra muzzle jump and ruin patterns. It is in a drawer somewhere. More gun junk like we all accumulate.

Years ago, before we had screw in choke tubes for tubes in Skeet guns, I had a friend order a set of tubes with .020 chokes in everything. From there he patterned everything as he reamed out the chokes to get his “best” pattern distribution. To him he had the perfect patterns and guarded the information for years. After he passed away I bought his tube set and found his perfect constructions were slightly tighter in the 20, .010 and .012, 28, .008 and .013 and the .410 was .013 and .016. So he was slightly tighter than normal but when you patterned the tubes, different loads gave vastly different results. With his loads they gave very nice patterns.

He picked his “load” and only considered that load when he patterned his gun. Different loads would make more open or tighter patterns so great that I concluded plus or minus one degree of choke could be just due load or shot size chosen. Made life simpler when I found a few loads which would give me what I wanted in patterns without having to alter chokes or change chose tubes. I am for any thing I can do to a gun without altering the gun in a permanent way. I’ve seen too many guns with reamed out chokes already to add more to the group.

Amen. Excellent post.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.