I use nothing smaller than 7 1/2 on Dove with the .410. 7s if I can find a bag to reload. I shoot mostly 2 1/2 shells at 1300 FPS which pattern very well in my gun. Later season Dove, may be best shot with 3 shells because they tend to be better feathered and just a bit smarter. Remington 3 7 1/2s and 6s pattern well in my 42 but I have not used sixes on late season Dove. They did take pen raised pheasant last year.

I dont like 8 1/2 or 9s as some recommend for Dove or Qual, trying to increase the number of pellets in the payload. Flyers, using small pellets will not kill birds but one or two 7-7 1/2 will if well placed. Four or five 9s wont at range. I am a big proponent of knowing ranges and sticking within ranges you can shoot well. Give me a 12-18 working pattern, which is what a .410 can give you at proper chokes and decent range and I can take Dove all day long. I dont like the 6-9 patterns when Dove get so close its like shooting a High or Low 8 in Skeet. I just let them go and say a few choice words.

I have been thinking about taking my 42 with me to Argentina next year if I go. Ill put up with the hassle to see if I can kill 1,000 dove a day once with it.