Originally Posted By: SKB
I would dis-agree that it does not matter who passed the law. The liberal left certainly had an agenda, but so did Reagan and the Right. Same result but different motivating factors. Reagan did not want to pay for housing and services related to the mentally ill. The left felt that the "rights" of these folks were being abused. A bit of shared blame in my eyes. Reagan does not get a pass from me on this one. Reagan's desire was to balance the Federal budget, a Nobel goal, but he created a whole bunch of issues for the States which they were ill prepared for.

IMHO Reagan was starting from the premise that there is a limited amount of money and choices have to be made. Just as each of us must in our personal lives. I have no problem with the idea that not all of his choices were great. But what the left misses with such astounding regularity is that somehow this stuff needs to get paid for. And if you fund enough "Pissing Jesus" artworks, you aren't going to have enough left over for the things that really need to be done.

It's the lack of discrimination on what to spend money on that gets me.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia