People do not think of the deep South as Canada Goose country. Yet, due to the introduction of non-migratory Giant Canadas (aka Golf Course Geese), we have an open season on them down here which basically is any time any other waterfowl season is open. The goose season coinciding with the early teal season ended recently.

67galaxie and another buddy and I have been watching a flock of about 100 'town birds' feeding in a green peanut field close to town. The peanuts are not turned yet, so we didn't want to shoot in the field. We discovered a nearby farm pond where they were dropping by to pass the mid day and have a sip to wash down the peanuts.

Morning of the last day we went out to the pond at 8:30 with six floater decoys and my goose call. There was heavy equipment parked next to the pond edge where the owner had been doing some excavation work. We hid in plain sight among the equipment. I sat on a stool between the blade and the body of a bull-dozer.

Promptly and according to schedule, the geese began leaving the field and coming to the pond at 9:30. A few calls to get their attention on our sparse decoy spread and a turn into the wind for landing brought us face to face with about 40 of them. We dropped two on the first pass and those birds were followed up by three more flocks of 5 to 10 each. All decoyed as hoped. We picked up 5 which was enough. These were Big birds.

Temperature was about 90 by the time we started shooting. Not exactly a snowy Canada shoot on the Saskatchewan prairie, but nevertheless a real honest satisfactory goose hunt over decoys...Geo

A picture of two 67galaxie shot with his A Grade Fox: