jmc, I let all snakes have a pass unless they are a rattler, moccasin or copperhead, and are near where we live or work. That one was killed as I was just leaving the hosts dove field. He would've been upset with me if I hadn't. I've let some mighty big ones crawl on when I see them away from living or work areas. We have a huge rat snake that hangs around the house here from time to time. Even my wife finally learned that every snake isn't a rattler, and let's them go on about their business of catching rats. However, she called me about four years ago late one morning and asked if I was close to the house. I was close and she said to come quick, there was a rattler on the patio. I drove up and she was standing watching him afraid to shoot because of the proximity to the house and damage to the pavers. I killed it with a boat paddle I had in the back of my truck. She and the little yorkie had walked within a foot of him as he lay under the patio table.

So, it's an individual call on each one. Never heard any old tales about a black snake bringing rain, but did hear an old wives tale that shooting a snake with a shotgun will "shackle" the gun, and shooting at something too far will, too.

A local friend of mine got bitten about a month ago. He's still recovering. Lots of big long tails around here. Peanut fields during the summer are very attractive to mice and rats, and rattlers because of them. We have to be very careful where we walk and put our hands until after the nuts are combined.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.