CZ, I posted in the game/gun thread last week about a similar experience I had on a Canadian trip last week.

Form 4457 has been around for years and is intended to be a helpful tool for travelers. The Customs website says its one way of proving prior ownership of an item which might otherwise be duty due. It is specifically stated NOT to be mandatory. Problem for me is the nearest customs office is a couple hundred miles from where I live, and I've always been in too much of a hurry to check the guns at customs while traveling.

On my way out of Houston to Calgary,AB customs agents pulled me off the plane after boarding and advised me I had three GUNS in my pelican case. I said yes I did, mine and two of my traveling companions. I had the receipt for the purchase of my Miroku, along with a prior Canadian registration and P.A.L. but my buddy had nothing on his.

At first they were adamant that the form 4457 was required so they could REGISTER guns leaving the Country. I politely disputed this citing their own website. Short story is they relented and issued 4457s to both of us for our guns and now we have them. Good thing!

Because on our flight home we went to Chicago. US customs from Calgary to Chicago is in the Calgary airport. The agent there demanded our "required" form 4457s. We proudly presented our brand new "papers" and were graciously allowed to return to our home country with our damn shotguns. I'm still mad...Geo

Deep State at work no doubt!

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 10/29/18 02:14 PM. Reason: added final sentence