In 1946, my Father bought a Remington model 241 Speedmaster semi auto .22 rifle. While it was a very expensive gun for a 17 year old orphan, it lit a fire for marksmanship in my Dad, that led him into the Marine Corps, the next year, and a career that lasted 30 years. The War was good to my Dad, and he had more money than ammunition.
I gave the gun to my Son a few years ago, shortly after Dad passed. It has a cantilever scope mount, which is about the only way to keep a takedown rifle on the bull season to season. Chris and I hunted grouse in Pine county this day, and while we saw no birds, we took some time to plink with the old gun.
It is always a good day when you get some time to poke holes in a few empty beer cans with your boy.

On the same trip, Chris graduated to the much modified by me 20 gauge Mossberg youth shotgun, leaving the .410 version to his Mother. I expect her to graduate from that gun as well.

Chris has been told the Beretta Silver Snipe his Grandfather bought in 1964 will be his when he grows into it, not long, at this rate.
Sharp eyes will note a model 1912 on the bed cover, the gun I carried that day. My eye has not yet recovered from surgery to repair a detached retina, and I figured a single barrel might give me a slim shot at a bird. That didnt come to pass, however.

Best,
Ted