My brother and I made something of a study of the industry.

It's well worth visiting KY for the tours.

Realize, their goal is to extract money from you but they do treat their visitors well and are reasonably forthcoming with information.

It is a huge industry. They actually cooperate with each other to an extent, and there are many different ways to make and finish corn whiskey. I enjoy and appreciate most.

House grog here: Evan Williams Black. It cannot be beaten for an everyday table bourbon.

Favorite bar none: Baker's. It has intense barrel flavor due the maturation strategy. It's a style I very much like, not for everyone.

Favorite wheater: Old Weller. Buffalo trace makes the best wheat bourbons, easily beating out Maker's, although I'll never refuse a Maker's Mark.

Best Value in a premium: Evan Williams Single Barrel. This is what they used to sell as Elijah Craig until the bourbon boom. Craig is now 'no age statement' and to be avoided.

Woodford has it's place, as does Wild Turkey. Four Roses Small Batch is delicious, Buffalo Trace is a model for what a good bourbon should be.

I avoid products from converters, or anyone who does not own a still. Likewise 'serviced' brands. 'Craft' bourbons are a waste of money and time. You cannot improve on perfection, something I've learned the hard way.

A case in point is a swill labeled 'Lexington'.

Fool me once, etc.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble