Alabama has state owned liquor stores....a few years back a turkey hunting buddy from Birmingham called me said he saw on the news or read in the paper that on a certain day they were going sell the Pappy Van Winkle and that he was going to be there and get me a bottle.

The day before the sale he called and said I drove by there and people were sitting in lawn chairs in the parking lot...a lot of them he said. Told me he would ride by there the next morning and see about getting me a bottle. I still had hopes.

Next morning he went about an hour before they opened and he said it was like a mad house....he's like me he kept going.

Sad part is....he found out later that they sent a security guard outside before they opened and made everyone get off the property. Then made every one line up and draw a number out of a hat.
If he had known they were going to draw he would've stayed and got a number and lucky as he is I'd have another bottle.

I stopped chasing Pappy Van Winkle several years ago.

Really sad part of it is most of the basturds buying it aren't buying it to drink just to make a buck...