Originally Posted By: GLS
Heart worm medicine doesn't prevent infestation, it just kills them in early stage before developing fully into adults. The dead larvae are small enough to pass through the pulmonary system without causing serious problems. A dog with full infestation of adult worms is at risk for the drug because once they develop into adult size, killing them will cause dead worms to pass through the pulmonary system like huge clots. I've heard of vitamin C therapy for snake bites. My vet recommends 2-3 Benadryl tablets per 20 lbs. dog weight to prevent swelling which can close the windpipe. Take off all collars as well. Not sure who brought up the vitamin C or heartworm issue, but I recall a bright flash of light and disorientation when I peeked. Smelled sulfur, too. wink Gil

I was told by a vet that if miss giving your dog heart worm medicine by more than 10 days you should have the dog tested for heart worms before giving the medication again.

I live in a heart worm area. For years I've given my dogs Ivomec injectable from Tractor Supply....

1/10 of a cc per 10 lbs of weight.

You do not inject it.

I draw it out of the bottle with a cc syringe then take off the needle and squirt it in their mouth.

A 35 dollar bottle will last a couple of years with two dogs...you'll pass the expiration date before you use it all.
Keep it refrigerated

It's a lot cheaper than Heart Guard or any other made up heart worm medicine

My buddy used it on his racing Greyhounds....even then I was skeptical.
My vet told me it's the very same ingredient and it gets all worms except tape worms.
Most vets won't tell you it's okay to use it...my vet is a hunter.

If you tell the guy at Tractor supply you want it for a dog they most likely won't sell it to you.

I've saw a couple of peoples dogs die from heart worms it's not a pretty sight.