Originally Posted By: BrentD
Interesting project and idea that you are chasing. Is there an organized competition for smokeless loads like this?

I'll be interested to hear how it works out. I assume you are using a 14" twist or faster and a grease groove bullet.

Our annual shoot is about 18-20 guys and gals who get together each year to shoot for fun. Never to compete. But we have long range shoots at our club open to any type of weapon, and any type of powder.
The Quigley is also open to any type of powder and traditional style single shot rifles. I hope to make it there some day.

I have a 1:16" twist in this barrel, as I have in another Rolling Block in .40-65 Win. That gun also sees only smokeless loads with 18.0-18.5 grs. of 4198 and the same 300 or 350 gr. RCBS CSA bullet. I'm confident the smaller case of the .40-50SS will do even better with smokeless, although I may start at slightly smaller charge due to the smaller case capacity. Once I run them over the chronograph, and check groups I'll begin to raise the charge to see where it gets best accuracy, and hope it stays around 1300-1400 fps.