Originally Posted By: halk
Right on Canvasback and I'm sure you know the best place to hunt the King of Waterfowl up north is a big brackish (cloudy water)lake filled with sago pondweed with hardstem bulrush growing at the edge of the open water. Push the boat in with a duckbill pole as the oars used to get there won't work. I never stand up in my Duckers except to kill cripples and am always in chest waders. I often use the duckbill pole to push through the pipe in the Ducker to stabilize and make it easier for the dog to come back aboard. But alas water levels are so high in my area now that my favorite sago lakes are full of slimy fish and the sago beds are gone.

Halk, my hunting property is at Delta Marsh, home of Delta Waterfowl. And the marsh was ruined over the decades by invasive carp moving back and forth between Lake Manitoba and the marsh. Eating every bit of sago and a bunch of other stuff as well. A significant joint venture to control the carp by stopping access to the entire marsh through the use of weirs, completed about 4 years ago, is starting to show benefit.

We use locally built flat bottomed duck boats, push 'em into the reeds and bend the reeds over the boat for concealment.

I'm just in the final stages of having a nice, thick barreled Remington 1894 BE restocked and am looking forward to using it as a waterfowl SxS. 30" barrels and 7 1/2 pounds. Minimum barrel wall thickness is over .040 and with new wood, so should be good to go.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/27/19 01:52 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia