I had started research on spotted hyenas in Kenya in 1978 and the tranquilizing equipment in those days was very crude - the aluminum dart was fired by a .22 nail gun blank and was heavy, fast, and hit the animal hard. Then the drug was literally exploded into the animal by a small powder charge (the dart gun was a modified Harrington and Richardson single shot by Cap-Chur Guns in Georgia). This is as painful as it sounds, and hyenas ran like hell when hit, often ending up in thick bush before they passed out. One finds all sort of other things besides sleeping hyenas in dense bush, and I wanted a rifle for these excursions. Ever since the Mau Mau, Kenya has had draconian gun control, and the firearms officer would only give me a permit for a shotgun. I bought a Brno 49 in Nairobi, a friendly game warden gave me some (illegal) slugs he had confiscated, and I carried that for many years. Questions about it decades later brought me to this board.

You guys made me buy a number of Brit shotguns since then, and in Kenya I eventually got a permit for a .470, which has been my work gun for the last 20 years.

The upshot is that a SxS was my first shotgun, and clickety-clack guns have never felt right.