Originally Posted By: Y85
First post. Great thread, btw
My grandfather died in 1927 (when my father was 2). My Dad married late and was an older man by the time I was born. One day, he let me into the back room of my grandmother's house, long sealed off. There in the dusty shadows, two shotguns leaned against the wall. One, a 12g H&R single shot, with "WCR" hand carved into the stock -- my grandfather's initials, and my father's, and my son's. The other was a sxs with a broken hammer. One day, it was gone. I could not have been more than 5 or 6 but I still remember that gun, and that day. My father was not given to sentiment but it clearly saddened him. We brought the single shot home that day (still have it). My Dad died too soon, my brother and I not yet men.
I tried for years to find that sxs -- talked to relatives, explained that it was worth more to me than anyone (and, thereby, was worth more to whoever had taken it) but it never resurfaced.
Time passed by. Life was kind and I had the chance to hunt the world over with rifle and shotgun, with my own son at side. Eventually, I retired, joined an upland/waterfowl club, bought a Gordon Setter puppy and started casting about for things to do. A couple gun shows and a couple impulse purchases of British guns in rough shape, planning to (and in process of) bring them back to life. Now, almost no space in the safe, and still looking for more.
I would trade them all for that old double with the broken hammer, and five minutes with the man who showed it to me.

Very well written, and welcome.

I had owned a couple 20 ga O/U Berettas, but for me a "double gun" will always be a sxs. Held and shot my first at Flatwater, Voss' 16 ga Grulla. Been hooked on the 16 sxs since, and have settled in on the Manufrance Ideal. Love 'em.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility