Thanks, jOe, for starting this thread.
1948 was a good year for my Dad for two reasons: after spending the entire war in the Pacific and then scratching out the beginnings of a life with his bride, hed finally saved up enough to purchase the gun he really wanted but hadnt been able to afford, an Ithaca M37, and he found out that I was on the way. That gun and his appreciation for it began my own appreciation of Ithacas. His Dad was the best wing shot in the county and favored A5s. Father and son both shot 16s and following them around and listening to their conversations ignited a love for the 16ga in me as well. On special hunts I got to shoot one or the other of those guns. I have them both now. In college, I worked my way through school washing dishes and working in a restaurant. My boss was a dove hunter and invited me along but I had no gun and no spare money for shells. He borrowed a SxS from a friend for me and with it I learned to love the double gun as well as the value of making each shot count. This thread has caused me to look back with gratitude to my Dad for the love of Ithacas; to my Grandfather for my love of the 16ga; and to an unknown friend of a friend who lent a SxS to a college kid he didnt know for my love of SxSs. I have quite a few now. All Ithacas. All 16s. All sweet.

Speude Bradeos