===========================================================================================
1864 - Reilly manufactures the Green Bros Breech-loader (continued)

Reilly continued for several years as "Sole Manufacturer" of Green Bros Breech loaders:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1865 Bradshasw. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Jul 1866 - Proceedings of the Royal Court

Well...what happened? Jacob Snider (an American) won the competition (and died a pauper-never receiving a nickel - uhhh shilling - from the Ordinance); The famous Snider-Enfield was formally adopted in 1866 even as bids were solicited for a new breech-loader with a small caliber, faster muzzle-velocity gun). Reilly continued to make Green Brothers breech loaders...there is one use number 159, SN 13884 (mid 1865) but after the adoption of the Snider, I can't find any more guns which are serial numbered. Here is one made about 1870, Patent use number 3116...Reilly on the rib - but no mention of SN.

I speculate that he must have shifted manufacture of the Green Brothers breech loaders to Birmingham after loss of the contract. Why? From 1864 to 1870 I calculate in the above chart that he Serial Numbered a little more than 3,000 guns. The above use numbers for Green Bros patent (23 in 1864 and 156 in 1865 to 3116 in about 1870) indicate that in this time period he manufactured over 3,000 Green Brothers breech loaders. It is impossible that he serial numbered more than a few of these in the first couple of years of production.

Likewise, the Reilly Comblain breech loader also went to Birmingham I assume - I haven't found a single Comblain-Reilly with a Reilly SN. This is discussed on p.12 as well but I'll make a separate post to drive home the point.

One could argue that the London press and gun manufacturing experts who received the Green Bros Breech loader from Reilly for testing had the wool pulled over their eyes. Or this noted professor might have just been fudging in his lecture as he discussed Green Brothers (Reilly & Co.) breech loader. Somehow....that doesn't seem plausible.

. . . . . . . . . . 25 July 1866, Morning Advertiser

Please read the whole line before commenting off the cuff...I'll be posting more on the subject.

Last edited by Argo44; 01/09/20 09:31 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch