Thanks for the welcome.

I hunted quail down in Falfurrias, TX with a gentleman one time many years ago. It was quite a production such that I had never experienced before (and never will again). He had two hunting trucks for hunters, a truck with dogs and handlers, four outriders on horseback locating coveys, and a Suburban following with lunch (full meal deal with waitstaff and cook). There were four of us switching out to hunt with each other. Three coveys then the other team's turn. As I was riding with the owner in the hunting seat on top of one of the trucks, I was holding onto my Ithaca SKB trying to keep it from rattling in the gun rack. He had two doubles in the rack that he seemed relatively unconcerned about any dings the stocks or barrels may have been getting on the bouncing around. He asked about my shotgun and I proudly told him what it was, and asked about his (because quite frankly, I could not identify them from my experience). He casually said they were a matched set of Purdey doubles. In my shock and youthful inexperience, I remarked that I wouldn't have them bouncing around in the racks like that. He simply stated that if he could not hunt with the best he would not hunt....

He let me hold them and that was the last time I ever saw, much less held, a Purdey shotgun. I haven't been on a quail hunt like that since either.

They were all pen raised flight conditioned birds and he had Chukar and Pheasant as well but we were only hunting quail that day. He had the whole operation going on that place. It was quite an experience but it further solidified my love of SXS shotguns, even though I'll never own a Purdey.

Alan

Last edited by armjr; 02/06/19 11:35 AM.