Not a Very Good photo, but that is fitting......It was definitely NOT a Very Good bird season.........
Last Sunday was the final day of the Texas Quail Season.......
Weather was favorable and my dogs deserved an outing.....

I had restricted myself to a self imposed daily limit one third of the State bag limit for this seasons hunts.....I had quit shooting birds on the 15th of January.....Just running dogs for the exercise

There are a couple of dogs in this bunch that may not see another season, so I decided to get out and make some favorable memories.....
Pretty nice finish to a poor season.... We hit the ground running at 4:00 pm and found 7 coveys before dark..... I set my sights on taking a dozen for an end of season meal....
I shot them pretty well considering that I was trying to limit myself to shooting only cock birds.....Almost made it clean too.
The bag includes 11 Bobs and only a single hen (second bird of a double).....Started out on a roll with the first seven in the bag without a miss....Thought for a minute I might be returning to the form I showed as a youngster..... but averages soon caught up with me, I was having to take more marginal shots as evening approached and I was still short of my goal of a 12 bird bag.....Finished up with 16 empties in my coat......Birds were in good shape and uniformly healthy......

I shot fewer quail this season than in any year since I was 12 years old....that was the '62-63 season.....