You can't teach a Millennial anything, at least not the Snowflake variety. I know some really sharp, conscientious young people who fall into the Millennial time frame. There are lots of them actually, it's just that the 5% that are really stupid get all the press.

Fathers can teach sons (or daughters) to shoot because fathers will chew their a$$es out when they do stuff wrong. That's as far as primary family level training should go. If there is and older person, who has not had any real experience with handguns, who wants to, all of a sudden start packing heat,... then someone else should teach them. They will regard that person as an expert more readily than someone they already consider to be their numbskull nephew.

My great grandmother owned several guns of several flavors, and knew how to use them. Her "go to" was a Mossberg 410 bolt action and she dispatched snakes and various sundry henhouse varmintry with equal expertise.

A woman can learn to use a shotgun properly, just like a man, IF they are brought up doing it.

The hair on the back of my neck was tingling when the discussion turned to a young woman and four small kids a shotgun and snakes. Likely the safest thing would be to be a snake around there.

Anyway, with the Great Depression/WWII ridden bunch I was raised by, wasting a cartridge on a snake was not done. That's what shovels and hoes were for.

Alan

Last edited by A R McDaniel Jr; 03/04/19 06:49 PM.