Originally Posted By: Stan
#11 is likely Roosevelt's famous Holland and Holland double rifle. For anyone who would be interested it is featured in the 1 1/2 hr. documentary/movie by George Butler, and released in 1989 entitled In The Blood. It is a very well done documentary about a safari in 1986 on which Butler's grandson, 13 yr. old Tyssen Butler, takes his first big game animal, a Cape buffalo, with Roosevelt's rifle. Roosevelt's grandson, Ted, is on the safari, along with R L Wilson (author) and others. The famous Kenyan PH Robin Hurt is key in the film as well. There is an underlying question that is addressed at great length in the film concerning the killing of big game as a means of conservation of the species.

One of the finest hunting films I've ever seen ........... very emotional at times, and with much actual footage of Roosevelt's 1909 safari with his son, Kermit. So as not to sidetrack Drew's fine thread, anyone interested can pm me for more information about it.

SRH

William Simon, Secretary of the Treasury from 1974 to 1977, owned the TR rifle when In the Blood was made. He appeared in the video and, I think supported it financially.

Simon was a graduate of Lafayette College and a major donor to it. He donated the funds that were used to build the Simon Center, home of the Lafayette Economics Department. One of his conditions in making the donation was that his operational 19th century Gatling Gun be prominently displayed in the lobby of the building. Rumor was that this was partially based on laws in New Jersey preventing him from keeping the Gatling Gun there. It was enclosed in a thick plexi-glass case. After his death, the College was pleased to return it to his family, as the insurance costs of maintaining it in the building were substantial.

Last edited by vangulil; 03/15/19 12:16 AM.