While reading a recent post on here where there was a mention of "Through lumps" it got me thinking.
There's chopper lumps, dovetail, clip and entablature to name a few, but W.H.Monk took out a patent on a monoblock set up back in 1881, it looked very much like the machined original portion of the breech end from when barrels are being sleeved, the tubes were fitted in the same way as sleeving (this may well have had some influence on the sleeving process when it became common years later ?)
What I can't find out is if Monk's lumps and chamber part of the barrels were one piece or not. If it was, which I assume, I'd guess there was a fair bit of work involved in making them back then so would you say it was a time consuming method - possibly expensive , or was he ahead of his time with his idea ?
It seems that a lot of modern O/U gun's barrel sets are constructed this way and while it's easier and cheaper to machine these particular parts nowadays, could W.H. Monk have planted the seed for the process ?

Last edited by Nick. C; 04/16/19 08:52 AM.

Rust never sleeps !