The book "Pillars of the earth" has a cathedral fire that is deliberately set in the roof framing timbers. I remember the writing as realistic and riveting. The renovation work would make areas of the cathedral easily accessible that otherwise would not be. Arson investigators are good at what they do, and accelerants are hard to hide. With the huge Muslim population in France, it doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to see the possibilities.

I was suspicious when the authorities announced it was "accidental" while the firemen were still battling the blaze.

Early reports said the rose window had exploded and was lost. That was the most grievous to me, as the technique used to produce that exquisite stained glass has been lost, and they would not be able to exactly replace the windows. Later reports seem to indicate they have survived. I believe the windows were removed and crated off to safe places during the German shelling of Paris. They truly are irreplaceable, and a wonder to behold standing on that stone floor.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility