I am going to take a chance to renew this line of discussion. PLEASE, stick to the subject without letting personalities get involved. Data from the mid-1960s courtesy of Gun Digest.
This was about the time I made the switch from using Hi-Speed LR to Std Vel LR for squirrels.

.22 Short Std Vel, 29-grain lead bullet @ 1045 fps, ME of 70 Ft Lbs.
.22 short Hi-Speed, 29-grain copper clad @ 1125 fps, ME of 81 Ft Lbs.
.22 LR Std Vel, 40-grain lead bullet @1145 fps, ME of 84 Ft Lbs
.22 LR Hi-Speed, 40-grain copper clad & 1335 fps, ME of 97 Ft Lbs.

A box of much later CCI .22 Short CB caps shows a 29-grain lead bullet @ 710 fps.
Energy is not listed & I did not bother to calculate it, though quite easily done.
As I understand it these CB caps use only the priming charge as the propellant yet it still pushes the 29-grain bullet to 710 fps.

Note that the ME is proportional to the weight & the Square of the Velocity, while momentum is proportional to mass & velocity. The mass of the 40-grain bullet is 38% greater than the 29-grain one.

Both bullets have identical diameters & virtually the same shape. The extra mass here translates into a higher Sectional Density for the heavier LR which is why it penetrates deeper. The Ability to Move an object by the impact is based upon the amount of Momentum applied. In this case, if the short bullet stops without complete penetration & the LR passes completely through then the applied momentum will for the LR fall somewhere between the total for the Short & the potential of the long rifle. It will; not be less than that of the short for it has penetrated deeper.

In "Short", a .22 29-grain short will NOT move a squirrel farther than will a 40-grain LR.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra