At some distance any HP .22 - short, std vel, hi-speed - becomes a solid. Pays to experiment w/different weights, velocities, brands. Red squirrels make a good test bed. And I kill them year round. Mostly use LR sub-HPs now, as they are most accurate. But everything works because distances are short. Get some with the Single Six and #12 shot, and sometimes a M-42. No need for segmented HPs.

Also shoot crows, some past 100 yds. Yard is ranged, and the 20x SWFA turrets are very nice. CCI sub-HPs start punching through like solids after 60 yds. Get fly-offs on long pokes, but was shooting them b/c we had to replant a cornfield. Next year they stayed away. So I kept my part of the deal, ie., left them alone.

For bigger stuff like porkies and nuisance beaver much prefer HS .22 LR HPs. Couple weeks ago brained a odd-behaving skunk. Luckily, it didn't spray. Had it in for a red fox that grabbed couple of my hens. I saw the tail end, arrived too late. Happily a neighbor - also with chickens - got it with his .22. I say that b/c this particular red had very distinctive light tint and color pattern.