I have number 35 Hollenbeck drilling and also number 236 Hollenbeck drilling , Number 35 was passed down in my family since it was purchased in 1902 by my great great grandfather, and number 236 from Cherrys, to use as parts in the future. I am now obsessed with both of them, they are finicky old girls, you have to treat them right, but if you do, they hit hard and strong and are very good for hunting! I was very happy with Cherrys, they were honest, efficient and did the best they could, I think their mistake with you was an honest one, by my experience. My purchase from Cherrys is the same as yours :12 gauge 32-40 Winchester , the action was a bit loose, with some temporary Jerry rigging its now tight, with some help from a gifted young gunSmith, Daniel Resmondo, in Robertsdale Alabama, and some new little Springs for the firing pins, which would not retract, did that myself, and a Picatinny rail placed exactly where my German pivot mount will go,when I get it installed, same pivot mount I have on Hollenbeck drilling number 35, I can safely shoot sub 1 inch 3 shot groups consistently at 100 yards with the .32-40 Winchester,unbelievably accurate, my other thread on this forum shows my hand load, I have asked Daniel Resmondo to weigh in on these gunsmithing questions because both of my Hollenbecks had some internal part problems that he fixed , but I remain obsessed with them, and plan to continue to hunt with them!
I would like a little bit of advice from the group, where can I get some low pressure 12 gauge shells for coyote, maybe number two shot or maybe number 4 buckshot, RST does great but number five is the largest they have!
Please dont give up, stay with this American finicky old drilling and hunt alot with her! Dont be afraid to put some optics on your drilling if youre like me, Im too old for iron sights. As you said, what do you have to lose, shes not that worth that much anyway! At least not worth much on the open market, theyre invaluable to me!