Lynn asked me to post this:

Thought I would tell you folks about a project I worked on this spring.

The following is a rifle I bought in an the auction earlier this year. This was the auction description for the M70 in the first 2 pics below:

" .375 H&H Magnum caliber, 25" barrel, S/N 2647XX. Blue finish, walnut stock. Redfield 1-4X scope with Pachmayr tip off mount. Aftermarket stock with Noshoc pad. Added 2-leaf folding rear sight. 1953 date of mfg.

Condition: Very good condition with an excellent bore. It retains most of the original blue finish and the aftermarket stock rates excellent."

I took a chance and I bought for way below the expected cost for just a barreled action in 375H&H. When it arrived I was more than pleased. The rifle metal is 98% and the bore mint. To my surprise the stock, although not exactly my idea of style, was very well done. My original thought was I would restock it for a more classic look.

However after more inspection I realized there was an overabundance of wood in the stock and the great part, it hadn't been checkered. So I reshaped the cheek piece, grip area, shortened the forearm by a little over an inch, and removed significant thickness from the pistol grip on forward to the forearm tip. (The original forearm was a bit of a beaver style and I thinned it overall by nearly 1/2 inch.) I added a Fisher grip cap, Tally mounts, and a Leupold 1.5x5x scope. Then I had Carrol, at Ahlmans, checkered the wood for me. And oh yes the sling swivels that came with the rifle are Winchester Mod 70 Super grade swivels.

The last 2 pics are the rifle now. Hope you like….