Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and based in the UK. I have just found this brilliant thread and am most impressed with the efforts gone in to creating this authoritative database, well done!
I own, and shoot, a J C Reilly which might be of interest. It is a 14b percussion double gun of fine quality, the barrels have marks for London proof and are stamped 14, suggesting post 1855. The external faces of the locks are signed just "Reilly". The top rib is signed "Joseph Charles Reilly New Oxford Street London" with no street number, but assume 502 (1848-1860) which would tie in nicely with the proof marks.
Here's where it gets interesting, it's serial number is marked extensively to locks, barrels, breech plugs, ironwork and wood. But the number is "2008" suggesting a much earlier gun. I tend to think 1855-1860 is more likely the manufacture date, but would appreciate your views as to it's number and date.
I can take some pics, but do not have a web site to post them here, perhaps i can PM them to a member and they could post on my behalf?
Look forward to your thoughts...