In the other line Woo mentioned that the 1855 addition of a bore size stamp is a known gun date marker in UK. He mentioned that Greener and Manton were two gun makers who were putting bore stamps on their guns prior to the 1855 regulation.

Well on 5512 there is very definitely a 16 between the two proof marks...it is a 16 bore..as Wootang noticed. Here are the possibilities:
1) Reilly was date stamping his guns before 1855 regulation like Greener and Manton.
2) The address on the rib - "316 High Holborn now 502 New Oxford Street" can't date the gun.
3) The serial number is wonky.

I believe option 1 and 3.
-- Auction houses stated in advertisements the bores of pre 1855 Reilly's.
-- I believe most London gun makers serial numbered guns when ordered (for bespoke guns); (In 1880 Reilly began to stock and sell his Reilly-made guns off the rack; I believe these were numbered when sold).
-- I also believe most London gun makers added the address on their ribs and blacked the barrels just before shipping.
Thus, the conclusion for the moment on 5512 is that the rib address is a more solid date-maker for 1847-48 than the presence of the bore stamp is for 1855....until proven otherwise.

However, to confirm this, need more examples of early Reilly barrel proof marks.

Last edited by Argo44; 07/21/19 11:14 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch