Argo;

I know a way for you to gain, in a short period time, a primer on the art and craftsmanship of gunmaking to complement your considerable research skills.

10 years or so ago a video was made of the gunmaking process inside Holland & Holland, with the likely title of "A Look Inside HOLLAND & HOLLAND"--"Film by Billy Payn www.gunmakersrow.co.uk" Back then I think I paid 50 dollars US or UK pounds 50--I do not remember. It was available as a CD for both USA and European format. An hour or so in length. You should search for it and do yourself a great favor by purchasing it and learning, for example how ribs are soldered on,(yes, an actual video segment shows this in the H&H video) not cemented. Although they are "cemented" on these days for less expensive guns--and they stay on the barrels very well, for even some carbide tips on circular/rotary saw blades are cemented on these days.

H&H no longer has these videos for sale, but they may be able to help you find one--a call to them in Dallas would be worth it.