Research continues. But I'll reiterate....no photos exist of Reilly retail sales shops....but they existed. Reilly records were lost - Blanch records were lost in a Zeppelin raid also.

But not one publication from the 19th century called him a "retailer." Dozens of anthologies and encyclopedia's of manufacturers in UK from the 1830's to early 00's list Reilly as a gun maker/manufacturer, pistol maker/manufacturer and as pointed out, a maker of swords and knives.

Dozens of articles by knowledgeable shooters claim Reilly "made" or "built" the guns they were shooting including some of the most preeminent shooting writers of the age. How the late 20th century "experts" came to the conclusion that he was a retailer only is a mystery.

And both of you and a couple of others who have commented on the line really do know a lot and are respected. We'll see what happens.

Edit: And to help address concerns,to further this line, and in defense of the above research, here are questions:
-- it'd be helpful to know who told you all that Reilly did not make guns. Why do you believe what you were told? Did you do any research on the topic yourself? The origin of this myth seems to be rooted in Brown and Boothryod? I've already posted the errors about Reilly in the articles and books they've written.
-- Can you all point out definitively a Serial Numbered Reilly that was made by another manufacturer? Which one?....I can forward pictures of 300 extant Reilly's for analysis...a number pictured above. Have you all looked at this - analyzed the guns? Or are you just repeating something you were told?
-- And why, if he made muzzle loaders, and has been repeatedly identified as one of the earliest advocates of breech loaders in UK, could he not make breech loaders?

-- edit: Please post one....one...19th century writer or article that said Reilly was only a retailer. Thanks.

I'll simply add that there are people in the UK ready to change their opinion about Reilly. Because for 20 years he was one of if not the largest private gun makers in London.

Last edited by Argo44; 07/27/19 01:56 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch