==========================Moving the chains in the 7000 series numbers==================================
8186 - New last JC Reilly "7000" series gun. - "Veni Vidi Vici".

This gun just showed up - very similar to 8056. This gun increased by 130 guns the known total of the Reilly "7000" series numbers and required changing the dates on the blue labeled numbers and the history and gun total for each year 1848-57. But It's happened before...will happen again..when new "marker gun serial numbers" appear.

Officers going abroad purchased a Reilly military rifle for hunting, usually in military caliber, .577 in this time frame, so they could use service ammunition. This gun is built to .650. Perhaps he still used military powder charges but had it driving a bigger slug?
https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/r...25-c-4ae44b8a5c

A GOOD .650 (FOR MINIE) SINGLE-SHOT MILITARY SPORTING RIFLE, serial no. 8186,
circa 1855, with browned ovoid 32in. barrel rifled in four grooves, the full-length flat sighting plane signed 'REILLY, NEW OXFORD STREET, LONDON', small dove-tailed blade fore-sight, elevating folding ladder rear-sight with additional standing notch and when folded concealing the Reilly motto 'VENI VIDI VICI' (I came, I saw, I conquered), plain colour hardened breech-block and top-tang with scroll engraved detail around the top-nail, plain colour hardened lock engraved with a martial trophy to the bar and a panel of scroll engraving to the tail, the bar further signed 'REILLY, LONDON', straight hand dark walnut three-quarter stock chequered at the wrist, blued iron furniture, short under-rib with turned throat and plain thimble, brass tipped iron ramrod and 'Brunswick' style bayonet bar to muzzle, much original finish remaining
Other Notes: This rifle is almost certainly a British Officer's private purchase piece.

(I've never seen Flag, shield, drum engraving on a Reilly - was it special ordered? Presented as a shooting prize?)

Last edited by Argo44; 09/02/19 01:08 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch