Hello all.
First time poster as I ran across a beautiful Shotgun today and wanted to try to get some information on it before I decide whether to buy it. I know nothing about shotguns but have a reasonable Lee Enfield collection.

Overall condition is pretty good, bore is pristine and metal finish about 70%, lots of engraving but no birds or spectacular images. Just lots of swirly type stuff. Ssimilar to that I see on Lee Speed hunting rifles.

Serial numbers are matching inside and out - "53761"

It has an oval castle and flag stamped inside on the bottom of the Stock where the barrels fit and "WC scott and sons - Makers"Plus other proof marks. it has "patent gas check" stamped inside it and what look like 'O'rings around the firing pins. This is weird to me

Barrel are stamped underneath : .736 and .737 and there is Diamond with a 12 & C inside it (I presume indicating Caliber as 12 bore) a diamond indicating the gauge.

It has 2 little windows which apparently showed when it is cocked (they are black when snap caps are chambered).

Tang safety identical to Lee Speed style that I have.

Questions :
#1 - From the interweb it appears that this was made in 1897 given the serial number. have I misread this or is this really possible?? (good if so as it means cash and carry as opposed to DROS).
#2 - How do I find out which W & C Scott specific model it is??
#2 - Not a Damascus barrel but I cannot find any nitro proved stamps anywhere so I must assume good for black powder - what modern shells COULD I use in it.

Getting pictures and will post when I do

Last edited by Eighteenninety; 09/11/19 11:41 PM.