This is my favorite photograph from this year and for me maybe ever.

I was lucky enough to draw one of 3 pronghorn tag in small hunting
unit here in Utah.

Utah has a program where you can mentor youths and share your tag. I did that this year and mentored my 13 year old grandson on his first big game hunt letting him hunt under my supervision and use my tag.

I had scouted the unit several times and had found some decent bucks. Anyone would take a good first Antelope for a young man.

Our hunt started Friday morning. I had taken a drive around the unit and had spotted what might be the best buck I have ever seen on the hoof. I just hoped I could find him again in the morning. As you know we did find him.

We spotted him bedded down on small hill about 1500 yards away. There was know way we could stock up the valley so we decided to leave him and go up on the plateau and hope we could get near him before he wandered off.

We got lucky and managed to hit the edge of the ridge about 125 yards from the still bedded down buck. I put my pack down and had Dallin get prone. The buck sensed something was up and stood up and trotted a few steps and stopped. Dallin, aimed what will now be his Ruger American Predator 6.5mm Creedmoor, fired and made a perfect shot. The buck went down where he stood. I doubt he heard the shot.

When I got close both down antelope, wow he was an impressive Pronghorn. I don't think my grandson fully appreciates just how impressive this buck is.

I took head and cape to the taxidermist this morning. We rough measured and he might make book. Time will tell is he measure up. Either way, Dallin shot the Pronghorn of a lifetime.

Sharing this experience and getting a young man started hunting was much more fulfilling than if I had shot this buck.