Bill, back in the 1970-1980 era, when I had a fair to middling grouse dog, my steady hunting partner had an early Browning 20 Superposed- solid rib, single selective trigger-- Like many of us without a hunting oriented father or grandfather, he bought his first shotgun with paper route or bus boy hard earned dollars-

His first and only shotgun was an early production M12 in 16 gauge, with a Poly-Choke. He developed the bad habit of, when missing a pheasant or grouse, he'd change the choke on the "Steam-Whistle"-- When he graduated HS (1959) his father, a well-off doctor, gave him this Browning as a present- turns out, one of his patients, a serious hunter, had financial problems, and Doc Rogers took this 20 in payment of the bill-

John has long since moved from MI- now resides in GA, and hunts quail with that same gun. Best hunting trip story with him I recall- early Nov. 1970- Saturday, perfect grouse hunting day- John drove, had his wife's Ford station wagon, parked on the farm 2-track, and over my Setter, missed every pat and woodcock he kicked up over Mollie's solid points-was getting discouraged (understand that feeling) and walking back towards the station wagon, right in the center of the 2-track, a big rooster pheasant flushed and flew right "up the alley" towards the car- Bang, Boom- John fired the 20 twice, the bird dropped in a cloud of feathers, and the rear glass window of the car shattered- Pretty quite (and windy) ride back home. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..