Originally Posted By: Woodreaux
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
the 6 and 8 inch Wiltons are horrifically expensive, the 8 is over 4K.
Comparing the upper end Wilton vises to products made 50-100 years past is like comparing an F16 to a Saber jet.

I'm not even in the ballpark of something like a Wilton 500n, which is several thousands of dollars, as you said.

But I do have my eye on a well used Wilton 1765 (tradesman vise) that is coming up at a local auction. If I can get it for $100 or so, I'll probably go for it and just figure out a place for it in the shop.

The only way I could make a steel post stand for it would be if it were mobile, which might defeat the purpose of the steel post. I am short on space.

The 500N is right around $1100 after it is shipped. The UPS man wont have much to say to you for awhile, after he delivers it.

Eventually, one will discover that the vise they set up for fine woodworking will be pressed into some other use. It is better to have too much, rather than too little vise on hand. If youve only got room for one, make it a good one. The mount is just as important as the vise itself.

Ive separated a lot of front end components on that anvil for the car restorations Ive done here. And, plenty of general maintenance gun work, where I could have gotten by with smaller/less. But, bigger is better.

Best,
Ted