Revised $ 1/13/2020 Happy New Year $3300.00.

I got the OK from Dave to post this non side by side shotgun in the For Sale forum. It is a smooth bore for shot and it does have some interesting provenance. I will pay Dave for letting me post this here and the reward will be bigger if it sells through this forum.

I'm selling my Winchester Model 61 smooth bore pump .22 rifle with 24” round barrel marked “MODEL 61 – 22 L. RIFLE - / - FOR SHOT ONLY – ”. Serial number 103911 made in 1948.

It has about 95% barrel blue with blue missing from slide wear and there are 4 very small spots on the barrel where the blue is missing. 80% mag tube blue with blue missing from slide. 98% receiver blue, 90% trigger guard blue and 90% wood finish remains with some handling marks. Has the correct brass bead front sight, no rear sight or a slot for one, receiver top tang not tapped for tang sight and it has the long fore end and steel butt plate. A few handling marks here and there. Smooth top receiver.

It has the 2nd variation Winchester counter bore that is 0.265” diameter at the muzzle and extends in 8 inches where it steps down to 0.22” diameter for 16 smooth, non-rifled inches to the breech. The smooth bore is perfect.

The gun was formerly owned by noted outdoor writer and photographer Bill Headrick from Cape Girardeau Missouri. Mr. Headrick wrote many great articles in the Double Gun Journal. This gun is pictured on the front cover of The Accurate Rifle magazine of December 2004, VOL. 7, No. 11. Mr. Headrick writes a one page narrative in that issue about this rifle and Winchester model 61 smooth bore rifles. Gun is 100% original.

That box of Western Super X .22 Long Rifle Shot and the two MO-SKEET-O targets are included in the sale of the gun.

You can view 20 pictures of this gun on Guns International Listing No. 101320290 (Winchester Model 61’s).

Price revised to $3300

Buyer to pay actual shipping and insurance to an FFL or C&R. 3 day inspection. Please ask/PM if you have any questions or want more pictures.

Some notes on Winchester Model 61 Smooth Bores:
The 1st variation has the so called (John) Routledge counter bore which is 0.375 (3/8) inches diameter at the muzzle and extends in 13 ˝ inches and then steps down to 0.22” diameter for 10 ˝ smooth, non-rifled inches to the chamber/breech end of the barrel. They were made around 1939.
The 2nd variation of the M 61 Smoothbore is the one described above and is called the Winchester counter bore. Made from around 1940 and a few years after WW2.
The 3rd variation has a 0.22” diameter bore and a smooth, non-rifled bore from the breech end to the muzzle. Made in the 1950’s.
There are a handful (around 5 or 6 known) of Model 61’s chambered for .22WRF (Magnum) Shot Cartridges made in the early 1960’s.

[u][/u]