Originally Posted By: buzz
I just bought a clean 4 Reed 204R off eBay ... Im confused after reading this thread, if I should mount to my wooden work bench or a huge steel welding table?? I wont be using it for heavy duty work. ... I think its a matter of the best tool for the job?

That's a great vise. Good find.

Not surprised that this thread didn't clear things up. It went off the rails pretty early

Here's my view: for a gunsmith or other similar craftsman, a mechanic/welder setup has several draw backs. The first, in my opinion, is that you wouldn't want a fine gun stock or frame to be around a welding table. Thus the lead/leather vise jaw covers, rags thrown over the screw of a post vise, etc that you see in the old gun shops. And why no serious woodworker that I've ever seen uses a steel bench.

Secondly, if your bench is built well, there are very few instances where a steel table or steel post adds anything to the stability. My bench is built in to the wall, and I can stand on it without any appreciable movement. My woodworking bench is a Roubo style bench weighing about 250#. I would bet both of my benches are more stable than the majority of steel tables or even the big vise stands guys make out of pipe and wheel hubs, etc.

Thirdly, for stock work, a heavy vise at a wooden bench has many advantages including tools at hand, easy horse setup, table top for rags, etc.

A bolted down post like Ted's is undoubtedly very stable, and I hope to have something like that as a welding/blacksmithing/pounding setup near my anvil in the carport. I bought a 6.5" Wilton Tradesman and that is how I intend to use it.

This is where my Parker 674 1/2 is going to live and where I intend to do gun work:

Jim