Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Just right, or, just the right price?

It doesn't have to be a Darne, but they interest me, and they tend to run lighter than many others. Pistol-grip guns in those gauges, if English, seem to rarely be in the sub 6 pound range. There was someone here on the forum who sold a Darne on GB in the last few months. THAT gun would do, and I bid all I had at the time, but lost. I could and would bid considerably more now for that same gun.

English pistol grips are not very common - and when fitted are usually on 'heavy duty' style guns (such as pigeon guns), and often combined with a single trigger. Prince of Wales (virtually a half pistol) grip are more common on lighter guns, but most light guns have a straight stock and double triggers.

I have a Darne in 12 g - a whisker under 6 lbs - and it kicks like a mule even with a 3/4 oz load. I respect the engineering and enjoy the eccentricity, but to use, a light basic English boxlock (about 6 1/4 lbs) is a nicer and economical proposition,

As I'm sure you are aware - many light English guns are only 2 1/2" chambers, which may be a bit more hard to find in the USA (easy here in the UK).