No one (except Stan) says one has to load 1.25 oz loads in a 12 for pheasants. But certainly, they work well. I typically use either my own reloads of Bi or Pb shot with 1.25 oz or 1.125 oz loads if I'm buying over the counter, depending on what's available.

I shoot turkeys and geese with far heavier loads in a 6.5# gun. Is a half pound really going to matter for a few shots per weekend? With respect to recoil, of course not. With respect to carrying, maybe so. I cover 10-15 miles per weekend in the late season according to various phone apps that have tracking capabilities. A half pound less weight in my hands over those distances may be nice to experience. Well, I know it is, because I used to use a 6-# 16 gauge Evans, but I sold it.

Pheasant hunting is one of much walking, stomping, jumping and whatever else it takes to get through heavy cover and snow. It is not something that involves a lot of shooting. Most people, not named Stan anyway, have no problem with firing a few stout loads of whatever weight and charge in a light gun. Carrying a light gun is nicer than carrying a heavier gun. Never heard anyone say, "Gosh darn it, my gun is too light to carry." (but then there is Stan). And carrying is what we do 99.9% of the time when upland bird hunting, because this is hunting, not shooting.

Anyway, I'm looking for a light gun. 16 or 12 gauge. I'm going to be as patient as it takes because I can get by, no problem, with what I have, which is quite nice actually. Just looking for something different with a little jingle in my pocket at the moment.

If I said I like to hunt pheasants on days when the sun rises in the East, Stan would probably find some fault in that too.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]