Thanks Dustin. It's 9:30 PM here...at the age of 75 I've gone back on contract once again. If I post late at night it usually means I'm abroad - and I've spent 25 out of the last 50 there. And if I comment on other makers' guns, it's only because I have compiled a database of every extant Reilly and think there might be something in those serial numbered guns, which I've now been able to date, which might be relevant. That's it.

This line is about Reilly. When I find something I put it here and synthesize later. Try not to be so angry...I'll be answering your questions and I pay attention to disagreements and logical arguments - for a historian those are important - you have to be able to defend your thesis. and Merry Christmas. Gene

Glad you noticed the position on Oxford Street of Reilly and Purdey...now that was subject of mistakes by virtually every 20th century author. So something comes out of this.

(Edit: For those who think it took a massive building to be called a "factory," take a look at Purdey's building at renumbered 287-289 Oxford St. - it housed the manufactory, the retail spaces and the office. It was about the same size as Reilly's second building 277 Oxford Street.)

Edit: Oh by the way...on that Gavin Gardiner "Reilly action" I got up because I was just plain excited not because of some post. You see...it wan't me who identified it as a "Reilly action"...nor was it Gavin....it was the consigner and the consigner insisted on it being so identified in the auction. Why? There had to be a story behind it ...there was history behind this sale - one can smell it - (Who made it? Where - Birmingham or London? When and why was it acquired? by whom?) and I hope Gavin will ultimately put me in contact with the consigner for that story.

Last edited by Argo44; 02/02/20 11:02 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch